by Steven John Koeppe - Acrylic on canvas, 24"x18" - 2011
The "Sacred Springs," were the main source of water for the Kuruvungna Tongva Village, a native settlement in what's now the site of the campus of University High School.
In August of 1769, Spanish coming north from México forced the Tongva people to leave for the San Gabriel Valley to build the San Gabriel Mission. Their tribal name was changed to the Gabrielino Indians.
The springs survived, and Tongva Gabrielino natives have tribal gatherings in a small park adjacent to the high school. It's only open to visitors for 3 hours, 10:00 am − 1:00 p.m. on the 1st Saturday of every month. Rumours are afoot there are plans to pave the place over, destroying forever what little remains of Westside L.A.'s original Garden of Eden. Like the lyrics of Joanie Mitchell, "Pave paradise and put in a parking lot!"
For more information, please visit http://gabrielinosprings.com